painting my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thepirate

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am just in the process of setting up my first tank. i have been told that if i use a standard plastic backing it will look poor because apparently salt gets between the plastic backing and the tank? is this correct.

i have been told that the best way is to paint the tank? i believe i should use some paint mixed with PVA glue, what proportion of mix should i use?

i was looking at painting it black, what does this look like on a reef aquarium?

cheers

Mark

I prefer the look of black as opposed to the blue background frequently seen. As for the paint itsels, use a standard water based paint (flat finish).

You can also stick with the backing. If an salt does come between the two, peel it back and clean.

my tank is going into an alcove in the wall, once its in place i'll have very little access (if any) at the back!

cheers for the help though!

mark

I have a dark blue gradient backdrop that I affixed with alot of electrical tape. there is no salt creep there.

I have painted a tank with acrylic paints and it works very well.

I prefer the dark blue gradient look to black myself. Both are nice though. What I do not like is the photo backdrops. they look very cheesy and distract from the real focus of your tank. Your fish and your landscaping. Dark blue or black backdrops do not draw the eye and so they fade away, letting your aquascaping and fish be the stars of the tank.

I have a blue background on my tank (not painted), by you can hardly see it from all of the coraline growth on the back wall. Blue, black, picture...eventually, you will not see it anyways.

Back
Top Bottom