PFS: can i use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many use PFS/play sand/etc. You just need to make sure there aren't other additives like those used for concrete. PFS and those labeled as play sand are the safest. All the same critters will thrive in PFS as with aragonite. You'll lose some buffering capability but is easily overcome. I believe you'll find the PFS is 100% (give or take) silica.

Not sure what you mean ---- but you dont get the biological plus that you would if you had aragonite sand. ---- As the statement stands I believe it to be incorrect.

Honestly I thought they sold finer arg sand, but the stuff I see around in my fish stores looks like chopped shells, maybe a few centimeters wide a piece. I'm going to have to act soon though in regards to sand, my RO/DI unit just got here...

That is not sand it is crushed coral. I would not use it because it traps detrius and when coraline starts growing on it it looks dirty

From what I understand, the main reasons for not using PFS in SW (and I'm a huge fan of it for FW) is that it is reported to cause longer lived and more pronounced diatom problems and lacks the buffering of aragonite.
That is partially true. Sand other than aragonite is usually silica based and that silica will get released into the system which can cause a diatom bloom.
Aragonite sand in a SW aquarium DOES NOT buffer anything. The pH needs to be around 7.2 before the aragonite starts to dissolve and give off buffering affects. If the pH of a SW tank is 7.2, you will have lots of dead creatures in it and buffering should be the least of your worries. Aragonite sand WILL buffer a FW tank because of the typically lower pH.

Hmmmm, interesting article. It almost seems to say it's neither good nor bad. I vaugely remember someone saying there was some "argonite base" play sand at home depot, maybe called carribean something, that was a good choice as it was an arg base.

There was, years ago. If you can find it God bless.. I don't think anyone has found any in years since the Carib's stopped allowing the practice of harvesting their beaches

Yeah, I'll try to get to Lowes today and see if they have anything worth while. Other then that I guess it will be off to the pool supply store...

On a hunch I called another Leslies and PFS is $8.99 for 50#. The one by my house now says they have it for that price too. I think the guy that I talked to first was running a scam or something. I wish I would have gotten his name. Looks like I am taking the Play Sand back to Lowes and getting the PFS from Leslies. Thanks HN1.

On a hunch I called another Leslies and PFS is $8.99 for 50#. The one by my house now says they have it for that price too. I think the guy that I talked to first was running a scam or something. I wish I would have gotten his name. Looks like I am taking the Play Sand back to Lowes and getting the PFS from Leslies. Thanks HN1.

Anytime man. Glad you found it cheap, it's a lot easier than play sand! ;)

It seems to be a slightly larger grain size and less "dusty". Much easier to rinse.

The 75 has a mix of various gravels from multiple moves, mostly caribsea mixes. We have PFS in our planted 120 and 8 nano. Aragamax in our reef.

Has anyone experienced problems with things just as jawfish or cleanup crews not wanted to be on/in/work around your PFS bed? I'd hate to use PFS only to find out no one wants to clean it up, such as a sand sifting starfish

Back
Top Bottom