pH level for a SW aquarium???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vTEC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the level supposed to be????

I forgot what level it is supposed to be at

http://www.goldfishinfo.com/ph.htm

That link shows a fresh water pH chart... and the colour of my tanks pH is at the colouring on 6.8.... i couldnt remember what my last test read.. but if someone can give me a hand on what my level is at?

Cheers
- Lauren -

Ph will change normally during the day. It will be a bit lower in the morning after the lights have been off all night. It will be a bit higher in the evening after the lights have been on for a while. testing it at the same time of day will get you more consistant results.

How can you get the PH to go up besides buying a increaser? Any natural way. My tank is cycling but its consistenty at 7.8 (79* and 1.024 SG)

During the cycling process Ph is not that much of a concern. afterwards your Ph will be more important. There are two natural ways to manage Ph. First, promote good gas exchange between your tank and the air. This is done by removing the glass covers, if you have them and by creating surface aggitation via a powerhead that gently ripples the surface if the water. If you set your lighting fixture directly on the glass cover do not take it off until you have come up with a solution for the lighting. The other way to keep Ph at appropriate levels is to do regular water changes. Most commercial salts have Ph buffers in them to help with this. Doing water changes during your cycle will make it longer.

Alright... the reason why I was asking is that i lost my pH chart, so I had no idea what mine was at. It is at 8.0 which apparently is fine... but just incase i get a wierd drop or increase in pH (which i doubt) I bought a buffer, which is a powder to keep the pH consistant at 8.3.

Back
Top Bottom