PH spike from Kalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattP725

Aquarium Advice Freak
My kalk drip caused a PH spike to about 8.8 from 8.3... how long will it take to settle? I probably had it set on a bit too high... I do have LR and last time I dripped (manually every 30min or so) it didn't even budge.

It should settle out within 24 hours or so.

I did this numerous times before I setup an auto topoff. It is hard to "guess" what the drip rate should be for a system. Especially when humidity plays a large role. I got tired of over and under dripping and use a float switch.

Ya I just dripped with a reptile dripper from Zoomed... I set it close to the lowest it could go and it was only about a liter or so of water. I guess I will just have to do smaller amounts at a time or try to set it a bit slower if possible.

Are you letting the kalk settle for at least 4 hours and siphoning off the clear liquid to dose? I heard the precipitate is stronger than the clear liquid. 1 drop per second is a good starting point. Also make sure you are dripping in an area of high flow.

Back
Top Bottom