Brown Algae/Alkalinity trouble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Be careful about the experts online too. There's plenty of people out there claiming to be but the real ones are few and far between and generally don't brag about it.

Just a couple of clarifications I would like to make.

Aquarium plant are not all created equal but most of them are in fact semi aquatic. As the seasonal droughts and floods occur they need to adapt their leaf structure to facilitate co2 uptake. For example, emersed plants will develop stomata which will take in co2 but when they are underwater they will change their leaf structure and lose the stomata. The leaves are very thin so that gases can move between the leaf surface and in to the plant. True terrestrial plants die under water and there are a few plants sold in aquarium store that are strictly non aquatic.

Natural water ways vary in terms of co2 availability due to geographical elements. Some waterways are low in co2 but high in carbonates. As we know plants can take in carbonates and change it’s structure internally to co2. So just because waters are naturally low in co2 does not mean that there is a shortage.

IMG_0371.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

As you can see from the data supplied by Tropica (one of the leading suppliers of plants in the industry for decades) co2 in natural waterways can be quite high, far exceeding that of equilibrium. If you consider that most high tech keepers aim for 30ppm co2 then it is quite clear some plants do come from
Waterways with a very similar co2 content. It isn’t fair to say these plants are terrestrial only. Some of these plants die without high levels of co2 because they are not accustomed to water that is low in co2.

So in short, some plants need co2 supplementation to survive in aquariums but it doesn’t mean that they are not aquatic.

The question is whether high tech plants and fish/shrimp and snails etc share the same spatial characteristics. What might be required for some plants might not be good for certain fish species and vice versa. This is why it is important to keep species that are closely linked in nature.

Planting as many different plants as you can and letting the dominant species take over. This means they are tailored to your water and there is no need to add things to the water to help.

Lastly, many aquarium plants do very well on relatively low light. In fact most aquascaping competition aquariums only run at <40 Par which would be considered low light.

Today's update. Brown algae basically gone, and water is clear again. Only algae is the normal green stuff in small patches. Water numbers look stabile as well. I'm going to clean the decorations and rocks I took out really well before putting them back so we don't have another wave. Then I feel comfortable slowly adding plants and fish back in

Attachments

• 20230307_134755.jpg
    20230307_134755.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230307_134726.jpg
    20230307_134726.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230307_134714.jpg
    20230307_134714.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230307_134737.jpg
    20230307_134737.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 11
Thank you everyone for you help. I'll keep updating as we progress in the rebuild

Back
Top Bottom