placing xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craig_will2513

Aquarium Advice Freak
iv just brought a xl colony of xenia. i was wondering where to place it in the aquarium. and if they like high flow.. at the minute its in the high flow and its waving all over the place.

They like low flow. They will actually move and spread out so it is best to start them in a relatively isolated area of the tank (on a small island of a rock, on top of a large rock that you could remove if needed, etc.). Unless something goes wrong they will start to take over so be able to frag it and bring it in for a little credit (if you are lucky).

I have a xl xenia also thay love high flow as far as in my tank, I have a powerhead right on them also a pair of oc clowns hosted it, crazy I know. Thay grow like crazy so will need to be cut back or fraged.

Xenia is like a plague! lol I had the tiniest $4 stalk in my pico and now its bigger than my hand in only like a month. I had to move it into my 125g already. I really love the waving hands thing but if i had a choice I wouldnt get anymore again. Just too much growth and they take over very easily...

Lol most def if I knew that thay would grow like thay have I wouldnt have got them. But it is now my clowns home so I lost that battel. My clowns wont even let me get close to them now... :(face palm

Well at least you dont have to worry about them killing an expensive coral and you dont need to consider a nem. :) Wish mine would host my xenia. LOL

Good luck...btw do you have a picture of them doing this, probably looks really neat.

cool so they spead then.. so fishguy says they like low flow and you guys say high lol...so once they grow how do i cut them back.. do i cut the actual stalk or the rock its on. what do i do once i cut it back where do i put it

well as far as the flow just move them around see what works for yours.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110822_083416.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110822_083416.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 106
  • ForumRunner_20110822_083506.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110822_083506.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 96
OMG, that is the cutest thing ever! They are in a forest of xenia lol

I would think taking a whole stalk would be the easiest method, I;m just now starting, just starting to read about fragging. I have some extreme colonies of corals i will need to address sooner than later. lol

If you have multiple stalks on a rock just peel one off or cut it off. get as close tothe rock surface as you can adn glue it onto a plug or another rock. At least thats what I had to do. In the pico one of the stalks split and was starting to adhere to another rock so I peeled it very carefully off the other rock and it seems to be fine.

I just take a razor blade and pry them off the rocks. In a couple of weeks new stalks have already filled in the spots and you can't tell anything was ever removed. After I thin them out I throw everything in a bag and give them to my lfs. Mine don't seem to be to picky about flow. Ones I've had in high flow seem to grow longer stalks than the ones I have in a low flow area.

I just throw them in a bag with a little water. I let my lfs figure out what he wants to do with them. I give them to him for free, so I don't go through any efforts to attach them to anything.

Back
Top Bottom