Planning a reef tank ?'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ibrahim said:
I think you can add another clown and 1 anthias

Do clowns do better if you have 2?

Is my clean up crew going to be good enough? I want my tank to be able to maintain itself.

What type of anthias are you referring to? I looked up a few different kinds an the minimum tank sizes were 70gal and up.

I think you can have a dispar anthias in a 55g. They only grow to about 4". And your clean up crew is pretty small. Id aim for 25-30 snails and 25-30 crabs. Clowns don't really do better in pairs but it's cooler to see them swim and hang around together.

Ibrahim said:
I think you can have a dispar anthias in a 55g. They only grow to about 4". And your clean up crew is pretty small. Id aim for 25-30 snails and 25-30 crabs. Clowns don't really do better in pairs but it's cooler to see them swim and hang around together.

I was really under estimating the amount cleaners. Can I add that many snails and crabs and keep the same fish? And I don't need that many to start off, do I? I'd hate for them to die.

I like the bumble bee snail. What are some other snails and crabs that would work in this tank?

Any opinions on Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)? It sure is pretty!

AquaRick said:
TBH = to be honest

I personally hate damsels. They're demon spawn for sure. Such nasty and mean critters. I'd probably only have them in a predator tank.

i agree and their weird can be fine forever then all the sudden start being mean to other fish

Idk if you need 30 snails and 30 hermits. Maybe. 10 of each. Especially if you are going to ro water for pwc. Because you won't have as much algea growth. I have 5 of each in my 29gal and that is about as many as I should have. Or I will have to suppliment their food

I would also be wary of the Chromis school. Though less aggressive than damsels, they can be misleading as well. Some people never have any problems with them. While others have had the school completely turn on each other leaving only 1 chromis left.

I am currently about to cycle my new 55 gal tank. I love the idea of having some schooling fish, which is what most people go to chromis for to see. I am looking at Fowleria Cardinalfish, yet I have not made my final decision. They are peaceful and have a 30 gal min requirement.

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get a 55.

IMO the 55 gallon tank is the perfect starter tank for a reef. Plenty of water volume that you should be OK if problems or mistakes should happen. Tanks with lower water volumes are less forgiving when problems arise.

jwalsh said:
Idk if you need 30 snails and 30 hermits. Maybe. 10 of each. Especially if you are going to ro water for pwc. Because you won't have as much algea growth. I have 5 of each in my 29gal and that is about as many as I should have. Or I will have to suppliment their food

I think I'm going to have to go RO water. My tap water is really high in nitrates. I think if I used tap water I'd have an algae tank, not a fish tank!

melosu58 said:
IMO the 55 gallon tank is the perfect starter tank for a reef. Plenty of water volume that you should be OK if problems or mistakes should happen. Tanks with lower water volumes are less forgiving when problems arise.

I think I'll have more fun with a 55 gallon. It's just more expensive than a 30. Must keep an eye out for sales and check Craigslist!

Sniperhank said:
I would also be wary of the Chromis school. Though less aggressive than damsels, they can be misleading as well. Some people never have any problems with them. While others have had the school completely turn on each other leaving only 1 chromis left.

I am currently about to cycle my new 55 gal tank. I love the idea of having some schooling fish, which is what most people go to chromis for to see. I am looking at Fowleria Cardinalfish, yet I have not made my final decision. They are peaceful and have a 30 gal min requirement.

I'll have to do more research and see which one I'll like better. I haven't seen that cardinal fish yet.

The chromis seems like a good idea because they are very inexpensive. LOL!

Every once in a while you see petco or petsmart have a dollar a gallon sale on tanks.

+1. The dollar a gallon sales are great. But like you said, keep an eye out on craigslist. This is a good way to get tanks that are either pre-plumbed or come with extra goodies like stands, LR, and so on.

Yeah stay away from tap. I topped off with it the other day and what a mess! (I had no ro in the house because I buy it) algea every where ugh lol

Any opinions on red tuxedo sea urchins?

Do clowns have to have an anemone? What is a good easy anemone to get?

Also, once I have a tank and stand, I'll need a filter, good lights, refuge, protein skimmer, power head.... Anything else?

I want high lighting so I can get the pretty colorful corals and then have them stay colorful!

What are you guys talking about when you say the tank has to be drilled?

What does a skimmer do exactly, and also what is the purpose of a refuge?

I'd like some suggestions on what are good products in a reasonable price range so I know where to start looking.

And what kind of testing kits will I need?

How do you have a QT tank? Does it have to be setup all the time?

So many questions!! If I'm going to do this I want to do it right so I don't kill all the fish and coral.

jwalsh said:
Yeah stay away from tap. I topped off with it the other day and what a mess! (I had no ro in the house because I buy it) algea every where ugh lol

LOL! Now we know what tO use when the cuc needs to be fattened up!

Bearchumjs said:
LOL! Now we know what tO use when the cuc needs to be fattened up!

Haha yeah not good it will take atleast a good month to stop also. To answer a few of your questions... clowns do not need to have a nem but in saying that it is really cool to watch them host one. Nems need a pretty established stable tank to do well and depending on what type of clowns you have they like to host different nems. I have occy clowns and they like to host my green bubble tip. I put it in my tank after about 4 months and it is doing well. Just feed it some mysis shrimp once a week.

As for equipment I have the odyssea advance plus fixture from aquatraders.com it is a great deal for the price. I payed $180 for 1 250w halide 4 t5s and 4 led moonlights all in 1 fixture. Its a rediculous deal. I also have a cooling fan blowing between the fixture and tank because the halide heats up the water so bad just a little tip

A skimmer just removes excess nutrients from the water. You don't need one for smaller tanks but for 50 and up I would get one. Always get one rated for double your tank size. I have a reef octopus bh 1000 hang on back skimmer for my 29gal. Just keeps the water pristein for my corals. I got it for $140 during a group buy from bulkreefsupply.com.

As for testing I test for ph, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, calcium, and magnesium. The last 2 are to make sure the levels are correct for my corals.

You also don't need a refugeium unless you want one. I have one built into my sump the I built. It let's you put some extra rock for more filtration and helps with the pod population if you have fish that like to eat pods.

Lastly when someone says a tank is drilled they are refering to the style of overflow to the sump. There is also a hang on the back overflow back. Imo drilled is always better due to the fact that it won't overflow if the power goes out. The hang on back works on a siphon and if it loses siphon the return pump will empty your sump into your display tank and overflow it.

And don't forget a glass top for your tank if you have fish that like to jump. Also helps with evaporation.

Hope this helps a little. I know I didn't answer all of your questions but lunch break is over lol

Back
Top Bottom