Planning for SW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turbo V6 Camaro

Aquarium Advice Activist
well I got my 75 gallon FW up and running. Still waiting for the full cycle. in the mean time i have been looking at salt water. Will be doing an algae scrubber soon

My current plans are

100+ gallons (125 or 150) bow-front is if can find one!!

Sump system (40 ish gallons) with 2 allege scrubbers. or 1 scubber with partial wet/dry filter (not to small still need some in SW for the corals right?)

will still have some mech filtration to keep the algee from escaping if it grows fast

lighting

Thats about All I have so far I want a nice reef and some fish with it. CUC obviously.

want to just jump to the larger tank first off because i know i'll want to up grade if started with 75 or 90

I would upgrade to a 50g+ sump just based on space and a single algae scrubber would do the trick. No point in having wet/dry with an algae scrubber. Lighting will depend on what you want to keep.

will still have some mech filtration to keep the algee from escaping if it grows fast

You wont need a mech filter. the idea of a scrubber is to not trap any food, which is what a mech filter will do. This way when you put food in it will circulate in the tank until it is eaten and what ever isnt eaten is turned into ammonia and then is eaten by the algae.

Also the algea should only grow on your scrubber and should be cleaned about every week so you shouldnt be worried about it falling off (thats why you use a mesh)

this site has some really good info on scrubbers if you have not seen it already

Algae Scrubbers • View topic - ALGAE SCRUBBER FAQ (12/17/09)

Back
Top Bottom