Please help, avoiding a bad thin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today I was doing a water change. I usually fill the tank back up with a small bucket that I always used for my saltwater. Today my husband decided rinse out a little larger bucket that we use for washing the car. We got into a disagreement. I told him that it is not safe or a good idea to use the car buckèt. You can see where this is going. Please advise to settle this. Both my husband and I are strong willed and we both think we're right. I don't want any chance of soap or a chemical getting into the tank. Husband says it would be rinsed real good and would be ok. I told him I
Would get the expert opinion here on aquarium advice.
Thank you

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Bad bad idea. I dont care how much it is rinsed out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have seen a few (in FW) where there was some contamination in the bucket even though it was rinsed. Quite sad as most of the fish were lost.

I reuse my salt buckets once empty. 2 have become car wash buckets. but they never go near my tank again.

A bad idea. Even a drop of soap can crash a tank.
I have many buckets with all the salt over the years now, and have specific buckets for each thing I need. Waste bucket, mixing bucket...so on. One is also outside to wash my car with, but it stays out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I agree. I keep two buckets for water changes. If I use anything to clean them, it is with hot water and uniodized salt. I have several cares fish and cannot afford to lose them.

Sent from my BLU STUDIO 5.0 II using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom