Possible Tanks Mates?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B

Blubanshee98

We are slowly setting up our new tank. We've done lots of research, but can't seem to find any good information on tank mates for a blue dot stingray and a leopard shark. Although they still won't be purchased until a few months into next year, we would like to figure out of options for more fish. Any good species of Eels? Possibly a Puffer or Trigger? Any info will be greatly appreciated! :D

Is this the 130g in your profile?

How much expierience do you have in SW? A stingray is a rather difficult animal to take care of from everything I've read.

I have no idea how big a leopard shark gets, but it doesn't sound small. But it will probably take a liking to almost anything in the tank if it gets hungry.

What size tank is this for? If it is indeed for a 130 gal tank then that is WAY to small for anything but a baby shark and you should also at this point find someone to take it when the shark grows beyond the confindes of that tank.

Sharks should not be kept in aquarists tanks.

Yeah, I just replied to this post in a different forum.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice by the way! :smilecolros:

SW fish require a heck of alot more room than what you would think they would. and a 130 gallon tank is rather small for a lepord shark. (think more like 900 gallon and up.)

However, there is good news! a 130 gallon tank is perfect for all sorts of fish! including puffers, eels and triggers! (smaller triggers that is.)

I have to agree. A 130 gal tank is way to small to keep either of these fish, let alone keeping them together. As I mentioned in your other post, these animals should not be kept in a home aquarium.

What source are you using for help? Several problems here. First, your aquarium is way to small. Second, both of these species are extremely difficult to maintain long term. Any hobbyist who needs the help of an online forum does not need to be keeping either species. Finally, neither the Trigger or Puffer or any other fish will be compatable with your choices.

If you were to have any chance at all of pulling this off, you would have to make a decision to only keep the stingray and have a species tank. Even then, you would need to buy a very small stingray and be prepared for an upgrade in tank size within a couple of years.

You should consider it a blessing to have such a large aquarium and select species which you can care for properly. If you are fascinated by fish which have "shock value", then you have plenty of other choices. How about a Moray Eel? Or maybe a species tank of 6 Volitan Lionfish? How about a Stonfish? Maybe a tank with 7 or 8 different Puffer species? You could really have some fun without supporting the wrong side of the hobby.

Back
Top Bottom