Power head positioning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ozorowsky

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey all,

Would like your thoughts. I have a 125 gallon tank that is 6 feet long by 18" wide.

Is it ok to put the overflow and return on one side of the 18" side and have a power head towards the bottom on the other end of the tank pushing water towards the overflow such that the "waves" meet somewhere in the middle?

I am building this tank such that it will not sit flush against the wall, rather the tank will make a T with my wall so 3 sides will be visible.

I have 2 1400gph powerheads in my 6ft 125g and have them near the top and aimed towards each other and the back wall. Gives the tank a nice chaotic flow.

I have 2 1400gph powerheads in my 6ft 125g and have them near the top and aimed towards each other and the back wall. Gives the tank a nice chaotic flow.

Hey Carey!

Do I need two? (1 at each end)? I currently have one on one side and the water pumps up from refugium at the other end.

My protein skimmer is also in my open part of my refugium so it sucks the refugium water in, spits it back out and then that cleaned water gets pumped in the tank. Does that sound about right?

Having the skimmer in the refugium is not helping, you are skimming your pods. :-(

I have my return on the 18" side as well and a power head on the same side. Since I have approx 1200gph with my return sometimes i dont run that extra powerhead. But yeah, I'd recommend two. Gives you the flexibility to adjust the water currents since the return can only adjust so much.

LOL hope that made sense.

Having the skimmer in the refugium is not helping, you are skimming your pods. :-(

I have my return on the 18" side as well and a power head on the same side. Since I have approx 1200gph with my return sometimes i dont run that extra powerhead. But yeah, I'd recommend two. Gives you the flexibility to adjust the water currents since the return can only adjust so much.

LOL hope that made sense.

What are pods?

My refugium looks KINDA like this:

|bio balls|skimmer and |
|here |return pump here|

Should I get another refugium and put the skimmer in there? Or how/where should I be mounting the skimmer?

I'm kinda lost as to where you have what LOL. Pods are the tiny little creatures that grow in your refugium adn on your live rock. Very good to have, fish eat them and they help the overall health of the tank. :-D

In my setup I have 3 compartments. The one on the left is where my overflow drops the water and my skimmer is, then theres a wall and baffle and my refugium is there, the third compartment is for my return pump.

Here's a crappy picture

img_1482277_0_8aa0c1352ce888ea87ec2c9740dde7f8.jpg

Don't laugh. Here's my tank with one light. Other should be here tomorrow.

Here are pictures of what I'm calling my refugium as well

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110803_235239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_235239.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 143
  • ForumRunner_20110803_235258.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_235258.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 178
  • ForumRunner_20110803_235314.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110803_235314.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 153
Bump up top;

Does my protein skimmer look to be properly positioned?

Back
Top Bottom