powerhead placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sean112280

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 72 gallon bow front, I have 3 power heads, and 1 return line. Does anybody else have a 72 BF, if so I would like to know how you have your powerheads. Later i will draw up a display on how I have mine.

I had a 72g BF when I started off in the SW hobby.

Here is a picture of my 72g tank when I had it set up. As you can see on the right side the PH is in the back corner facing towards the middle of the tank. On the Left side of the tank the PH is in the front corner facing the middle of the tank. these are Tunze nanostreams (660gph each). My return pump was a Mag7, and Mag5. I ran 2 return pumps because I had a 1200gph overflow on the tank.

1011467smallap4.jpg

They K2 on the left is on the back glass down about 2-4in pointing to front glass. The return is pointed up for surface agitation. The nano 425 is about halfway down pointing towards the front glass. The other K2 on the right is on the right side glass pointing kind of downwards across the back. Now I was wondering if that is good, or do I need to place them differently. I am open to all suggestions.

Ziggy- I appreciate your picture. It helps. I am still unsure if I have enough flow. look at my crude picture and hit me with any suggestions that you have.

Thanks all,
Sean

Attachments

• powerhead.jpg
    powerhead.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 309
Well to give you an idea on the flow of my 72g tank it was roughly 2150gph in flow. I had a lot of SPS corals and I liked the random flow of the PHs pointing at each other.

Your K2 on the right side of your tank I would point that more towards the front center of your tank. You don't want to create a whirlpool with your flow.

OK cool. That is how I had it, but changed it last night to see if it would be better. I will switch it back. Do you think I need another powerhead?

Back
Top Bottom