Proper levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
salinity (SG) 1.024-1.026
NH3 (ammonia) -0
NO2 (nitrite) - 0
NO3 (nitrate) - 0-10ppm (reef ) FO under 20ppm
PH 8.1-8.4
(reef only)
CA 400-450ppm
Alk 3-4 meg/l

get a seachem or salifert multi test kit to test ph,ammonia,nitrite and nitrate and alkalinity they also make seperate calcium tests

I agree with hackteck seachem is a good kit but IMO salifert is much better. Do not worry about the PH while cycling your tank. This will explain the cycle and how to do it.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
CA and Alk will only be issues for you if you decide to keep corals which should be several months away at the earliest. Check out the articles link at the top of the page.

Salinity 1.024 to 1.025, really. Not being a smartass here just really wondering. 1.023 has been beat into my head for some reason. Maybe I should slowly raise mine to 1.0245 over the cousre of a week or so. Hmmmm.

Tex: If you do not have coral you can go down to 1.019 without issues. 1.024-1.026 is needed if you have corals. Natural SW averages 1.026. I keep mine at 1.025.

I ran my reef for a few years at 1.023 because the LFS said it was the place to be.. I raised it to 1.025 and my corals liked it.. They all are doing well and growing fast.
I agree with the numbers except for the fish only, from my readings 40 is the high end and with calcium anywhere from 380-450 is good.
With any of these numbers being constant is the most important thing. Bouncing up and down fast is not good and using additives to raise them should be done slowly and and only after testing so you know how much too add.

Back
Top Bottom