pure water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
i live in an area that has pretty "hard" water, i have a water softner, but our city adds flouride and other stuff into our city water. i dont have enough money yet for a ro/di system, any recomendations on additives to new water?

how about distilled water? the only problem is my aquariums is 110 gallons with that much distilled water i might as well buy a ro/di.

my aquarium is not set up yet just planning ahead.

thank for your help

mark

That will be a lot of water to get at a time! Does your LFS carry RO water? Otherwise, I always use the Glacier machines outside of Grocery Stores. It's usually about 30 cents a gallon, you do need to buy containers to fill. Some places sell 5 gallon jugs, but even that will be a few of those and a few trips...

Hi,

Maybe to start you could get a barebones RO system that is slow (10-30 gpd) and just start filling the tank with that 24 hours a day for a few days... 10gpd systems are usually under $100 especially on drsfostersmith and ebay.

Find something around the house you don't really want anymore, sell it on ebay for $100, and buy an RO unit :D

I live in the country and don't have flouride/chlorine in my water, but I do have iron and other stuff so I still get little algae "bursts" sometimes doing topoffs. I'm getting an RO unit as soon as I pay the taxes for my truck :roll:

defenitly check on ebay. you can find a really nice systems for cheap. check some of them out

HERE

I bought my RO/DI on ebay and it only cost me $110 plus shipping. It would have cost 3 times that at home depot and it didn't come with DI

Do not use softened water, it is full of salts if I remember correctly. Back in the day I moved so I refilled my tank with softened water. The gills of all of the fish crusted over with crystals and all died within hours.

Avoiding any manmade chemical and allowing nature to take it's course is the happiest route for all organisms involved, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom