question about overflows with new tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm starting a new reef tank soon (probably around 150-180 gal) and have been shopping on-line as well as at my LFS. The "reef ready" tanks by oceanic, tenecor, AGA, etc. have overflows that seem to be pretty good, but when I view the galleries of AA members, I don't see a lot of them. Is that because:
1. pre-installed overflows suck,
2. are they a relatively newer technology, made available after the distinguished members of AA established their tanks, or
3. the gallery tanks actually have them, but they're well-hidden in the aquascaping.
TIA

well mine tank i could not get drilled due to the temp glass in the bottom. so i just whent with the hob type.

IMO I wish my tank had the built in overflows and my next larger tank will definitely have them. I might guess that the HOB overflows would be nice because they are optional and can be removed. The in tank overflows tend to take away some of the tank volume, but I would rather have built in than HOB.

IMO, the larger oceanic tanks do not have large enough drains. I am looking to buy a 180 RR from glasscages.com where I can choose a 2" drain or whatever custom sizing I wish.

I am looking to buy a 180 RR from glasscages.com where I can choose a 2" drain or whatever custom sizing I wish.

Thanks for everyone's input. I also looked at a 180 gal RR from glasscages, but the return from the overflow seemed to have a very "unfinished" look.

Does anyone know if the sump that comes with these RR packages can be customized as well, since it seems like the ones packaged with the tanks are a little small (from all of the companies I looked at).

Back
Top Bottom