Using "old" filter in new tank, instant cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xulion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I've currently got a group of fish, which now includes guppies, corys and a pleco, in their 10g quarantine tank, ready to be moved to the new 30g soon. This tank, which is the first one I got, has been running for about two months and most of the fish are newcomers, added in the past few weeks. Now the time has come for the new tank to be set up, and two weeks ago I connected my new Eheim Classic 150 to the current tank in preparation. My question is now, would moving this filter over to the new tank bring an instant cycle and could I add the fish after a few hours, or at least a part of them? The new tank will have a good amount of plants and I'll be moving most of the contents of the old one into it as well. At first I was gonna wait a few days but am wondering if the removal of this filter might not cause anything inconvenient, and since the cycle happens in the filter anyway, from what I've gathered, would like to add them right away if that is not a bad risk and actually possible, plausible rather.

I'm sure it's built a little good bacteria in it, just watch your water parameters after you move it and them. It does carry all your good bb to speak of, but it might not be fully cycled yet after just 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom