questions about/ your thoughts on the biocube

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tarpon

Aquarium Advice Addict
So Im seriously considering buying a biocube. Is there any reason why I should not? I was wondering from people that have or know about them what they like/ dislike about them.

And are the lights it comes with powerful enough to support an anemone?

I have a 29 cube. I like it alot. It's cheap, all in one, easy to setup and pretty easy on maintaining it.

What isnt so great, low fish stock, and foot print, you have to be creative with your rock. The bioballs are also pretty useless. I switched to a media basket and fuge in place of the bioballs.

I would not put a nem under stock regular biocube lights. If you get the HQI model then sure, but you won't be ready for a nem for quite a few months anyway. other than intense light they need an established tank with stable pristine water.

Yeah I was thinking about the 29.
And I've heard that about the bioballs. In order to switch it over did you have to change or alter any of the parts it came with?

How long does a tank have to be established before adding corals?

I added these aftermarket mods

BioCube 29 Package Deal - Aquarium Filtration Upgrades & Supplies

JBJ Nano-Glo

You can start to add corals after you cycle and your water is good. The stokc lighting will let you keep alot of different corals. Zooa's, mushrooms, candycanes, and a bunch of others...No clams or nems though :-(

The only other things to buy is a powerhead and a heater if you live where it gets cold.

I personally like the media trays and the fuge was a must for me as i keep a scooter and a mandarin who need pods.

As long as you do your weekly water change theres no need for a skimmer either.

I actually bought a used biocube skimmer to see if all the bad reviews were true, and they are. it's terrible lol

Idk about upgrading the lights ...that could be prettty expensive right? I mean I don't have to have a nem I could probly be content with corals. I just think itd be really cool to have clowns and have them host an anemone. But of course there's a good chance they wont host it, and there are plenty of anemone like corals they could host.
Thanks for the link!

Edit: is that light better than the stock lighting? That's not that expensive at all

Woahhh $400? There's no way I could pay that on top of the biocube, live sand, live rock, and eventually fish and coral.

I know, thats why i didnt do it. LOL Some people are very obsessive with their cubes. Mine is kinda just a lark for me as I sit about 6 inches from it all day so I get to watch the fish close up lieka thousand times a day. All my other tanks are a bit aways from me. hehe

Well I'm seriously considering getting one. It'd be my first saltwater tank. I have a good amount of freshwater experience and want to get into saltwater. Its a whole different world of fishkeeping.

It sure is! I keep both FW and SW, though more SW these days lol.

You can always get the upgraded biocube with the metal halide light but I think they are about $400. And theres also nano cubes as well to look into.

tarpon said:
What do you mean by the nano cubes?? The smaller biocubes or is that another brand?

Nano cubes are another brand. Honestly, if you had the money, I would get a red sea max. It's another all in one tank, but it's higher quality, but also more expensive.

The construction is of higher quality. I have the 14g biocube and the lid doesn't close properly, so I've had to remove the hinges or else light would escape from a little crack. Also, the fans for my light are stuck or something because when I turn on the lights, a LOUD noise starts, and I have to hit the lid once or twice for it to stop.

Also the red sea max has switches for all of it's functions, like the filter, moonlights, and both it's lights. I've had time to play around with one and I wish I would've gone with one of those, instead of the biocube. Just my opinion though.

The red sea max has individual switches for each component. They are nice looking and well put together. But they cost a lot more. They do have t5s but they are t5 compact flourecent. T5 stands for the diameter of bulb. The red sea max lights can only be replaced with red sea max bulbs. But you have the same limits as the biocube But you can grow alot with stock lights. I have a biocibe 29 and am very happy with it. I would recommend it. But I always wanted a red sea max too.

The red sea is a great setup, but like 4 times the amount of a biocube one. My fan also sometimes makes that noise but a slight knock on it and it goes away. I have no issues with the lid fitting though, mine is a perfect clean fit.

I didnt get the nano cube one because the stand was all crazy like and I use the biocube stand and it stores ALOT of gear.

My first recommendation would be for the cube hqi, if thats too much then a regular cube. The red sea is also tops on my list but too expensive for my blood. lol

Back
Top Bottom