Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mjb51

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my tank set up now for over six months, cycled fine, but in the last three weeks the red slime algae is starting to get out of control, have put in some exictial red slime remover hopefully will get rid short term, but am just curious as to know what is causing the problem? My tank is 240ltr I have around 300 kg of live rock, protein skimmer, 5000lph power head, all tests except for nitrates (5ppm have just added a refugium with cheato to hopefully reduce thisi) are zero, I have two minstrel clowns, yellow tang, flame angel, three regal damsels, scooter blenny and bristletail filefish, I feed three times a day twice with new era algae pellets and aegis flakes and once with mysis shrimp (frozen), everything is always eaten so don't think I'm over feeding? Would appreciate any suggestions????

You are overstocked and overfeeding. Feed 3 times a week, not 3 times a day. Water changes vacuuming out what you can with each change, and cutting back on feeding is what is needed.

Cheers thanks not sure I'm going to trust my LFS anymore!!!

Back
Top Bottom