Reef Aquarium Cover / Spectrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ekean45

Aquarium Advice Activist
What can you use to cover a reef aquarium without filtering out any light spectrum or losing the shimmering effect provided by LED's and T8's?

Unfortunately, a canopy is not an option for my setup. I currently use egg crating but I've still lost a jumper or two that have managed to get through the holes.

Thanks.

Try a DIY screen top...
DIY Aquarium Screen Tops - Bulk Reef Supply
Covers stop gas exchange will can cause dropping pH...

Endorsed. I bought the screen from BRS and built one of these myself for my freshwater planted tank so plenty of light gets through to the plants. I used the 1/4" netting. There are several good videos on YouTube on how to put these together. :fish1:

Thanks - unfortunately, I also don't have a sump so I have some equipment sticking out of the top. I'll have to make a few turns and twists but at least I'll prevent some fish from jumping out. And it's destined that they will find that small hole to jump through.

I use some clear netting that is a whole lot thinner than eggcrate. Easy to tape around the tank.

if I may , what type of fish made it through the egg crate? those holes are what about 3/8th's of a inch , that fish had to line up perfectly to get through , I must just be lucky I've been using egg crate for years never had a escapee , all my escapees are usually through my overflow to my sump, Ive seen people using bug netting like what they put over baby carriages . screening works too like said above.

I have some pretty small fish like a cleaner wrasse, a bar goby, and a couple of others. Additionally, the egg crating that is currently covering the tank is starting to look pretty beat up. I finally have a pretty relaxed weekend and figured I may as well just change it out a bit.

that screen that was mentioned works great from what I hear , but like I said always used egg crate myself and must have been lucky as nothing ever jumped out. but they do love going for a ride in my overflow lol

Back
Top Bottom