Reef tank lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ej_b1996

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am kind of new to reef tanks so I wanted to start a 10 gallon reef tank with a couple corals (most likely the easy ones to take care of to start off)
I know about how hard it will be so please don't mention it
I just wanted to ask what type of lighting I should get? I wanted to keep the price as low as possible
I was thinking led?

Also I read about t5 and I was wondering If I have the regular light thing and just put in the bulbs/lamps from a t5 in there would it work?

Much help would be appreciated And again trying to keep the price As low as possible to start off

Thanks

The "regular light thing" is probably a t8 fixture; you can't just put t5 bulbs in...you need a t5 fixture.

And LEDs might be the more expensive route actually.

You would have to do a full conversion which will also include changing to a t5 ballast I would suggest buying a used light from someone or even searching Craigslist for a light

So basically a t5 would be good for corals and stuff in the tank?

T5 HO (High output) bulbs would work. Craigslist is your best option for bargains. Have a brand of fixture/lights you have in mind?

Ej_b1996 said:
So basically a t5 would be good for corals and stuff in the tank?

Yes, for a 10 gallon I'd suggest either a 2 or 4 bulb fixture depending whether or not you wanna keep sps or any high light demanding corals. You could light it pretty easily with LEDs too which you would wanna find one that has 3w diodes and probably 10-20 total diodes for a 10 gallon. Anything less then 3w even if claiming to be reef capable, isnt imo.

Well coral wise I just want to stay simple and easy maintenance and maybe an anemone for the clown fish?

The nem will put you into the high lighting department.. you'll want atleast 3 bulbs to keep a nem happy.

What type of corals do you recommend for beginners?

Soft corals like Zoanthids, Palys, and mushrooms are all great beginner corals.

Ok thanks you

And just to recap
A t5 light fixture is the cheapest way to go for beginners for this tanks? That would work well for these coral?

Actually if you find a deal or find a cheap PC (power compact) light fixture that would grow zoas and mushrooms. Prob. cheaper than T5s.

Oh ya last question

I saw something on YouTube about like a shop light and just replacing the bulbs
Would that be fine?

I think those are T12 lights? Really not sure about that though. You'd have to have special endcaps for T5...

Sorry so many questions

I am kind of a noob at this

Back
Top Bottom