Salt mixing question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Morangus

Aquarium Advice Regular
I hear a lot of people say they use a power head in their mixing bucket but I also see a lot of videos where the saltwater is drawn out the bottom and pumped back up to the top of the container... With either work for mixing salt? Pros / cons to either?

I would say mixing with a power head is better. The other way you aren't getting as much flow as with a powerhead. The tube doesn't create like a flow. Most people just get a bucket and no it with a powerhead and a heater.

I'm looking to use 55 gallon food grade barrels with a 2 inch opening... I'm not sure how I could get a power head inside to be honest.

I just use two brute trash cans.. one for salt mixing witch contains one power head, heater and a float to shut water off when its full. I just throw my power head and heater in the can and let it mix for two days before I put it into tank. the other can is pure ro di water witch is top off

I'm looking to use 55 gallon food grade barrels with a 2 inch opening... I'm not sure how I could get a power head inside to be honest.
Take a sawzall and make the hole a little bigger. I prefer the ones with removable lids. These barrels will need to be washed out on occasion. They do get a scum buildup over time.

Is it just the one that you are mixing the salt that gets scummy or the RO storage too?

Back
Top Bottom