Saltwater Tank Set Up help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I'm planning on setting up a saltwater tank. I realy like how a hexagon looks. So heres what I've decided that I want.
1. Hex Tank
2. Clown Fish
Now I am absoultely clueless about SW. Whats the deal with live rocks and live sand. I want to know how to set it up and care for it. I want it to look kinda like this: http://www.gotpenguin.com/fish/tank-full.jpg
Basically I want that rock stuff.

First of all, what size tank are you considering? A clown fish will do best in a 20 gallon or larger. LR and LS are basically rocks that have bacteria and other critters growing on them that either came from the ocean or someone's established SW system. If you really want to do the SW thing right, do lots of research and pick yourself up a copy of Robert Fenner's "The Concientious Marine Aquarist" its the bible of SW aquariums.

I second Jackdp's comments. Do lots of research and be patient. Make sure you know what you want before you go to a lfs to buy. Compare prices online and be patient.

This site is a great place to do research. Clowns are fairly hardy and are good fish to start with. Lr and ls are good to have. Try to get hooked up with a Marine Aquarium club in your area to build connections and places to get support.

Good luck and post lots of questions.

Welcome to AA!! My first word of advice is to research, research and then research some more. I to like the looks of hex tanks but they do not work very well for salt water. Generally they are pretty high. They have a low surface area to water volume ratio. the more surface area you have in a tank the better gass exchange you will get. Hex tanks do just not offer this. Not to say it can't be done, it is just not ideal. Go with the largest tank your space and wallet will afford. There is a lot more to this then just filling up the tank with water and dumping in a fish or two. get yourself a good book and find a reputable local fish store that can help you out. Keep coming back with any questions you have. We are all happy to help! Good Luck...Lando

try getting the dummies for marine aquarium, really easy to read and it's been a great help for me, as for setting up a sw tank, like 24hrs said, you just have to be patient, in setting up your water, and be patient and wait for you tank to cycle before adding fish.

Thanks I bought SW Aquariums for dummies. I'll post when I have everyting established.

Fenner's book will be very useful as well. I read it after I read the dummies book. I felt that was worth the time.

While you're doing research online, start researching lfs for a few reasons. 1) You're not ready to buy and they won't be able to talk you into buying something 2) you can build repores with a couple of them (if there are numerous ones in your area- I'm a little spoiled) 3) you can get their advice now and compare it with information you research online without costing you any money (boy, I wish I had researched Sea Clone skimmers, bta, damsels, ...) 4) get your route down for stopping by the lfs, computer store and hardware store so it doesn't seem like you're gone all the time while visiting all three :wink:

Hope you have fun! Being patient now will help to achieve that later.

Back
Top Bottom