seaclear tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chris stevens

Aquarium Advice Regular
has anyone had any experience with the seaclear tank w/built in skimmer box? i like the dimensions of this aquarium and i've read that a skimmer with the assistance of live rock, sand and a powerhead is all that is needed - no additional mechanical filtration system needed. is their a difference between the "skimmer box" shown and a "skimmer"? is it simply a housing for a skimmer? thanks any help appreciated.

( http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...<>ast_id=2534374302023693&bmUID=1112194639797 )

The skimmer box is simply a surface skimmer, it is not and does not take the place of a protien skimmer. It is still a good idea to have some mechanical filtration that is either cleaned or replaced at least weekly to help prevent nitrate build up. The skimmer box is not a housing for a skimmer, it is more like a housing for the tank drain and the return is also usually plumbed in through the skimmer box. This tank is designed to be used with a sump or wet/dry filter below the tank. HTH, Skip

I have a 75g Seaclear System II that I got used for quite cheap and am using for FW. I'm not sure what skipm is referring to - it might be a different Seaclear series. I of course have never tried out the protein skimmer that came with it, but I have not heard good things about it (although I don't know if those reviews have come from direct experience or just looking at it and feeling it's not sufficient). It is not pre-drilled or anything for a sump, but being acrylic, you could do that. The main compartment in the back is for a bioball trickle filter, which is doing great for my FW, but if I was going to use the tank for SW, I'd remove the bioballs and trickle tray, maybe put a little LR rubble and macroalgae to serve as a small refugium - the compartment is pretty narrow, so putting live sand or a lot of LR in the back would be a bad idea. I'd keep the heater where it is now, in the skimmer compartment, remove the pre-filter floss, put LR and DSB in the main tank, and get a hob skimmer. That said, IMO buying a new seaclear tank is a waste of money. For almost the same price, you can do a proper set-up and buy an all-glass tank with built-in overflow/pre-drill, sump w/ skimmer, etc.

Back
Top Bottom