Hand me down tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowenam

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was given a 50 gallon glass tank, built in 1990. I know based on that I'm going to have to reseal the silicone, but they also gave me a ton of other equipment. I need some professional advice to know if what I have is enough, if it's too old, etc.

I have:
- 50 gallon glass tank, built 1990 (I know I'll need to reseal the silicone)
- Wooden stand (this has 2 wired black boxes underneath that I have no idea what they are for. The previous owners have cut the cords so there is no plug anymore. Is this worth looking in to? Any ideas for what it was for?)
- Whisper 10-30 air pump 125V
- Supra aquarium air pump model 3 115V
- Elite 801 pump 115 V
- Marineland Magnum 350 Convertible Canister Filter and 120 V power source
- Misc. water treatment supplies

All 3 air pumps work, but I only have the pump itself. What parts actually go into the water? What else do I need to get this to all work and be ready for fish? I'm still not sure if the cost/work will be enough that I will sell it instead of going forward with it.

Thank you for your input!!

I'm not sure on some stuff.

Air pumps are the expensive bit of the air-chain. Get some air line tubing, and some bubble (stones, wands, ornaments), hook them together and good to go.
Check valves are an excellent option if the pump is lower than the tank.
Should be able to get a good selection of that stuff for around $20 (or whatever your currency equivalent is) all together.
Also, an excellent option to run a little sponge filter for in case you ever need it, also just connects to the air pump. You can get splitters and things to get multiple lines from one pump-port.
The stone/wand/whatever is the only bit that goes in the water (and some tube).
Do not put your pumps in the water.

You need to get it set up how you want it, and get everything running.

If you don't know about the nitrogen cycle, google it and read it well. If you understand that, you'll do a whole lot better.

Then look into fishless cycling.
It takes a little longer to put any actual fish in the tank, but, it's worth it.

Get yourself a water test kit (liquid, not strips. Strips are unreliable, and liquid works out much cheaper overall).

Back
Top Bottom