Seeking help with air bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ronlezah

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My return is pumping so many air bubbles into the tank that the water almost appears cloudy. What's the best way to figure out what's causing the air bubbles and how can I get rid of them?

Yeah just something I've heard and seen around not sure how it works from experience but I'm sure it can only help.

I used filter bags , but that might not be your problem your return shouldn't make bubbles, what kind of pump do you have and your setup?

circus clowns said:
I used filter bags , but that might not be your problem your return shouldn't make bubbles, what kind of pump do you have and your setup?

I'm using a 700gph mag drive type pump that runs in-line (using hose not pvc) from the sump to the bottom of the tank. The tank has a built in overflow box. The protein skimmer sits in the sump in addition to some live rock. There are two ball valves attached to the return line. One before the return pump and one after. They are both opened fully.

I placed a piece of sponge filter in front of the hole in the sump for the return line and it did help some but I'm still getting an occasional bursts of air bubbles blown into the rank from the return

Where your pump sit s in your sump, the over flow of water does it create bubbles there??? Is your water level in your sump where the pump is , is it over the pump??

circus clowns said:
And how big is your tank???

92g tank. Protein skimmer does release water near the gasket in the sump that connects to the return pump. The return pump sits on the outside of the sump and the top of the pump is around the same height as the water inside the sump.

If there are bubbles being created by the return pump the could be the source of your problem.

Thought I'd add some photos of my bubble problem and set up to see if anyone else can think of what might be the issue..

Attachments

• image-2840658410.jpg
    image-2840658410.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 73
  • image-2934954881.jpg
    image-2934954881.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 71
  • image-3632384650.jpg
    image-3632384650.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 94
Back
Top Bottom