Shrimp dissolved, still no nitrites? (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So yeah... put in two shrimp into my 60 gal (w/ 20 sump) last saturday. Tied the two guys onto my powerhead in a nylon sack so they would get a nice blast of water 24/7. Well, a couple days ago, the shrimp fully dissolved. I put in 15 pounds of LR rubble into my sump yesterday (from LFS, kept 100% in water till I put it into my sump). My water is now:

Am: 1.0
Nitrites: 0.0

1 week and still no nitrites? Should I throw more shrimp in there? They were good sized uncooked cocktail shrimp, and my ammonia never went "off the charts". I thought the shrimp had to be there still desolving till the cycle finished. I'm confused :?

Nitrites will typically take 10-14 days to appear. The presence on ammonia is a good sign, just be patient. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

hah. I knew there was a good explanation! :lol: I'm assuming that's all the ammonia I need to keep the cycle alive & kicking?

Here's some pics...

Attachments

• 01__72_.jpg
    01__72_.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 129
  • 01__74_.jpg
    01__74_.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 01__75_.jpg
    01__75_.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 107
Yes keep adding shrimp until the nitrites go up then down to 0 and then I guess just let them dissenigrate (Or take them out a few days after adding fish)

BTW pretty tank.

The set up looks good. The nutrient from the shrimp will still be in the tank but the nitrite stage of the cycle typically takes a few weeks to subside so I don't think you'll have enough nutrient to carry it all the way through. Might not be a bad idea to add another but this time don't place it in front of a powerhead. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
this time don't place it in front of a powerhead.

Whaaaaaaa? 8O I thought I read on here somewhere that it SHOULD be placed in front so it would dissolve nice and evenly? What IS the best place to put the little guys? Sand floor, on a rock, in the sump.... on a serving dish? :lol: I still have 2 of them left.

Just got off the phone with the guys at LR.com, they said that any time would be good to add in the Keys LR... when do you guys think would be ideal for me to put the rocks in? Their thoughts were that the rock would help cycle the tank, and that when it was done, the rock would be nice & ready w/o any fear of a 2nd spike. (40 lbs live to add to my existing 60 lbs base hirocks).

:idea:

I added the LR from LR.com and then added my fish and had a mini cycle... I waited 4 hours after I added my rock and sand. :)

Maybe hide it behind a rock or something so you dont have to watch it (Thats what I did, dont have to stare at the yucky thing)

Yeah... don't really mind too much for looks... just wanted to make sure they dissolved properly. :D

What about the LR question? It would be nice to be able to order it and put it in... but I'm a little worried about if the high levels of ammonia/nitrite might affect the Keys rock (make it die or whatever). I was told the hitch hikers wouldn't have issues & they would most likely survive

The hitchikers will survive moreso if there is little or no die off. If the tank is cycled first, you have a much greater advantage of preserving the added life. Otherwise you will need to do water changes or wait it out and hope for the best. It really depends on where the rock is purchased from, how fresh the rock is and total travel time to your door.

Cheers
Steve

Ahhh... well... the LR will be here from LR.com overnight via DHL.

The guys with LR.com said from time of order to the time it's at my door is less than 24 hours. It would go straight into the tank.

This make a difference? :wink:

Makes a huge difference. Once the tank's cycled, order the rock ASAP. You'll most likely have zero issues with water quality. I wouldn't add the rock mid cycle though.

Cheers
Steve

Nice! That's pretty much what I was wanting & expecting to hear. I'll wait it out... if I waited this long, I can wait another measly few weeks. Thanks Steve!! :D (and others).

Back
Top Bottom