Side by Side Sump and Stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've been preparing to setup my 125gallon for saltwater. I've been shopping around for a tank to use as a sump, and my lfs had a 40 breeder for a tremendous deal, and I just couldn't turn it down! One problem is that it won't fit in the stand! Just about any tank larger than a 29 gallon would mean I would have to remove a couple supports in the stand to place the sump in, then replace them and the sump would be in there until the tank is empty again... So I was thinking of putting the sump to the side of the tank...

There's a couple problems I see with this though, and I want to check with you guys first to see if it's something that's doable or not... Well the DT is not drilled, so it would require the use of an overflow box... I figured id have to put the overflow box on the far side of the tank away from the sump (6 foot tank) and run the piping at an angle towards the sump to get as little flow restriction as possible. I was figuring an overflow box that puts out around 1600gph or so to get as much water going to the tank. I have a mag drive 12 pump and it would be working close to max capacity as it won't have far to push the water, and will have a minimum of bends and turns in the piping as I'd have it go straight up into the side the sumps on.

Does this sound reasonable? Or is this just sound like too much of a hassle? Id have the sump below the DT for sure if this makes any difference.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Directly side by side will not work, obviously - I am sure you get that. The water level of the sump has to be below the level of the overflow. If the drop is only a few inches, you aren't going to see anywhere near the rated flow rate of the overflow either.

Well they won't exactly be "side by side". More like, the sump next to the DT instead of directly under it. The water level of the sump will be under the bottom of the DT. The sump will be almost sitting on the floor... If that makes any sense lol

Thank you very much for the quick response! I really appreciate it! I was hoping I could get the 40 breeder to work cuz I really really didn't want to be forced to go any smaller than that!

Thank you much!

Back
Top Bottom