Skimmer Problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99light

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This morning before work doing my normal quick inspection, i noticed a thick layer of bubble/suds in my sump. I started looking around and i noticed my skimmer collection cup was completely full of water, and the bubbles were coming out of it. I shut the skimmer down emptied and washed out the collection cup and put it back on. Powering up the skimmer, it filled roughly 1/3of the cup with water in less then 30 seconds. I left to let the dogs out for their morning pee, came back in and the collection cup had refilled with water again and was forcing bubbles out the top of the cup.

The only thing i did was to add 2 large pieces of Base rock to the tank last night, and maybe 3 lbs of rubble to the sump. Could this be causing that?

The water level in the sump is a bit higher then it was, i am assuming because of the rock displacing water ( each piece of rock in the display tank weighs in at a touch over 20lb)

I uploaded pictures to my album, one is what the sump normally looked like, and the other 2 are how it looked this morning

Thanks for any help you can provide

Check to see if your air bleed is partially submerged. If it is that may be the problem, depending on model of course.

the air bleed hose is still above the water line, i checked that, i did not check where it attaches to the pump tho, i could double check that this evening

It def sounds like something with the air mixing or lack there of. Mine does that on occasion I usually have to play with the mixing valve at the pump. That or my air bleed falls into the sump.

z_dano said:
It def sounds like something with the air mixing or lack there of. Mine does that on occasion I usually have to play with the mixing valve at the pump. That or my air bleed falls into the sump.

I run hot ro water thru airhose about once a month to get any clogs out where it connects to pump sounds like lack of air to me

Back
Top Bottom