Sponge filter for QT; water to use in QT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckycat

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK my tank is fully cycled, about 3 wks old, all levels are 0, so I'm ready for some fish! I've read enough on this forum about the use of a qt, so I'm of course going to go that route for any new fish that I add.

I have an old 10g fw tank and Whisper "Advanced" 10-20g hob Power Filter (Tetra) that I was going to use for my qt.

What I'm not sure about:

1. People keep talking about a "sponge filter"...what the heck is that? Can someone provide a link to an actual sponge filter product? The Whisper filter I have includes something they call "bio foam", through which water can flow and bacteria can build and develop. I suspect that might serve the same purpose as a "sponge filter" - I think I can place this bio foam stuff in my existing display tank filter, so it will collect some beneficial bacteria, before putting in my qt. Is that right? Or should I scrap this hob and just get a sponge filter?

2. Should I put water in the qt from my existing display tank, or new saltwater? A mix? I'm thinking I can put water in my tank as I do water changes from my display tank?

Thanks!

luckycat said:
1. People keep talking about a "sponge filter"...what the heck is that? Can someone provide a link to an actual sponge filter product? The Whisper filter I have includes something they call "bio foam", through which water can flow and bacteria can build and develop. I suspect that might serve the same purpose as a "sponge filter" - I think I can place this bio foam stuff in my existing display tank filter, so it will collect some beneficial bacteria, before putting in my qt. Is that right? Or should I scrap this hob and just get a sponge filter?
The HOB will work just fine. In fact it would offer better watermovement than a sponge filter. Both will do a decent job in a QT though. Just be sure that any old sponges/media that are used in the QT with meds are never placed back in the main. Always start with fresh media and seed it in the main when needed.

2. Should I put water in the qt from my existing display tank, or new saltwater? A mix? I'm thinking I can put water in my tank as I do water changes from my display tank?
Unless setting up the QT "on the fly" for an emergency, the water transfer is not necessary. Newly prepared aged SW would actually be better. No nutrient or other DOC that may hamper water quality. Aslo be sure you do not use the main tanks water for water changes on the QT for the same reason. If a fish has been transfered from the main to the QT for whatever reason, there is also a chance of transfering the problem with it.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the information! I'll stick with my hob, and seed the media in my display tank. Onto setting up my first qt!

Rush Rush Rush! how did you cycle your tank if i may ask? 3 weeks seems to be about half the time it should take. I also wouldn't put more than one fish in for two weeks.

Back
Top Bottom