Starter Anenome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psilletti

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I Have a 50gal salt FOWLR tank.2 clownfish, 2 cardinals,1 firefish looking to get an anemone for the clowns wondering what kind would be the easiest to care for and be best for the clowns to adapt to?20180407_172234.jpg

Anemone are sensitive creatures that need mature and stable systems to live in. They also need intense lighting to survive in our home systems, to which it doesn’t appear that you have on your setup.
I would skip the anemone in this case. The clowns don’t need one.

there really isn't a starter anemone for say , they are a delicate invert to maintain in a fairly new tank they wont do well.

your tank would need to be matured about a year for a nem .
lighting is another thing to consider for a nem they require strong lighting .
the florescence's on your tank wouldn't provide enough light .

as for your clown he will host about anything . make a small cave with a overhang .
I bet he will take ownership and host his cave , he will burrow out a hole were he will spend most of his time .

I have 2 clowns they love there cave they are constantly cleaning out any shells or rocks they find . it;s actually a fun experience seeing how they keep things clean .

If your looking to keep your tank as a FOWLR your lighting is ok for what you have .
if you ever decide to go REEF that would be when you would need to upgrade your lighting.

Last edited:
Rock Flower Anemone, not one for hosting but pretty and easy to care for and does not need really bright light.

There are many very beautiful colors, shapes and sizes. Some RFA are "common" and do not really glow under the blue light like the fancy ones do. The more fancy the colorful and glowing the higher the cost. But the common ones can be really pretty too.

60074-albums14597-picture70671.jpg

60074-albums14597-picture70670.jpg

Big brownish green one to the right - common
60074-albums14597-picture71553.jpg

fancy
60074-albums14597-picture70672.jpg

The lights i have are 2 full spectrum led lights with 10K,9K white leds with blue and red leds incorporated on the strips.Will this be enough lighting for an anemone?

These lights have a great claim, but I wouldn't put anything photosynthetic under them...let alone such a intense light craving creature like an anemone. Sadly there are many of these LED lights out on the market that claim to have enough juice behind them to keep anything you want under them. It just sets people who don't know up to fail, and it isn't like these units are any cheaper than the ones that can keep photosynthetic creatures under them!

Back
Top Bottom