Starting 10 gallon nano tank!! Help please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luv4bettas

Aquarium Advice Activist
:fish1:Hello! In a month or so ( I don't know yet) I am gonna start my first saltwater tank!! YAY!! I am very excited because sea animals are very beautiful!! Anyways, I am gonna get my fish from Treasures of the Sea and more and they gave me great tips on how to get started! He even said he would give me a discount on my first fish! He told me that a good starter fish is a Nemo (clownfish lol). He said that a bottom feeder would do good in the tank too. SO I asked about the saltwater hermit crabs and he said those are a great starter! So here is what I am wondering, since I only told about my visit to Treasures f the Sea and More lol:
- Can I get two clowns and a hermit in a 10g
-Do I get a 30-40 gallon filter or a 40-50?
-Do I need sand or is it OK to use gravel?
-Do I have to have plant decor or can I use rocks instead?
-How often do I clean tank?
-How to make the saltwater? (just in case I can't buy it)
-What do I feed clowns?
-What do I feed saltwater hermit?
Thanks!

I'm for sure on a no for two clowns, I'm not really comfortable putting 1 in actually.
I use a 20g aqua clear on my 10g, highly recommend it. Great media
Saltwater means a lot more then fake plants an such really as you can use fake plants but for the fishes health, I find its best to have some live rock for them to graze on.
I scrape the alage off daily and water changes with ro water weekly.

To make saltwater, you first need an ro filter, thus hooks up to an outside water faucet or a sink. Then you can buy premaid salt mix such as reef crystals.
When I had a clown, he took flakes easily and hermits should scavenge any missed flakes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

- Can I get two clowns and a hermit in a 10g

2's pushing it. Can i suggest you start with a 20 gallon? 10 gallon is really small and the bigger the better when it comes to saltwater...

-Do I get a 30-40 gallon filter or a 40-50?

If you're doing a 10 gallon tank a 30-40 should be fine.

-Do I need sand or is it OK to use gravel?

Sand, it buffers your PH to around 8 where you want it.

-Do I have to have plant decor or can I use rocks instead?

Use rock, you can get live rock (most do) or just some dead reef rock. Rock is important, it's where you good bacteria grows...

-How often do I clean tank?

I would change 20% of your water weekly.

-How to make the saltwater? (just in case I can't buy it)

Buy mix at any store. The instuctions are on the bucket/package. I would suggest not using tap water though. You can get Reverse Osmosis water in 5 gallon jugs at any grocery store for about $2. Get a couple of jugs going and use this, it's cleaner and will be better for your tank.

-What do I feed clowns?
A mix of frozen and dry food. Mysis shrimp are the best frozen.

-What do I feed saltwater hermit?

Whatever the clown misses. The hermits will eat the left over food and algae. You don't directly feed them...

Back
Top Bottom