Starting Again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have kept a 29 gallon FOWLR before with a pair of Perc Clowns, Pygmy Hawkfish, 3 Green Chromis, and a cleanup crew but this time i will be starting one with my 40 breeder and i have a few questions.

1) does this stocking list sound good I'm open to suggestions? (it will eventually be a reef)
  • 1 pair Perc Clownfish
  • 1 green mandarin
  • 1 watchman goby
  • 1 geometrical pygmy hawkfish
  • 1 six line wrasse
  • cleanup crew
  • 1 dwarf angel of some sort
  • 3 camel shrimp

2) The people at the lfs said you could use a cheap fish to help cycle the tank on the second day, is this true?

3) if i plan on starting a reef tank does it matter if i add the corals first or can i do the fish first?

Skip the mandarin. They need a ton of pods to eat and the wrasse will easily out compete it.
You can use cheap fish to cycle, but need daily water changes to keep them alive. You could also pee in your tank...or simply get a cocktail shrimp to toss in some old panty hose and take it the easy way.
When a tank is cycled, you can add corals at any time. They have little to no bioload. It is usually lighting to be the larger concern with corals and that the most sensitive corals are poor choices to run with right out the gate.

Skip the mandarin. They need a ton of pods to eat and the wrasse will easily out compete it.
You can use cheap fish to cycle, but need daily water changes to keep them alive. You could also pee in your tank...or simply get a cocktail shrimp to toss in some old panty hose and take it the easy way.
When a tank is cycled, you can add corals at any time. They have little to no bioload. It is usually lighting to be the larger concern with corals and that the most sensitive corals are poor choices to run with right out the gate.

lol really pee in the tank? and i was confused because on liveaquaria that most dwarf angels require 55 or larger but would it be fine in a 40 breeder?

I have a potters in my 40 who does great but nips abbot at the corals. Just something to keep in mind that they can eat corals

In a 40 alone. Potters angels are tough to get eating though so I don't reccomend them as a beginner angel. There's a bunch of dwarf angels but they should only be kept singly in a 40. Coral beauty, flame, bicolor, cherub, flameback.

In a 40 alone. Potters angels are tough to get eating though so I don't reccomend them as a beginner angel. There's a bunch of dwarf angels but they should only be kept singly in a 40. Coral beauty, flame, bicolor, cherub, flameback.

With dwarf angels are they safe to keep with inverts? because I've heard mixed reviews online and from friends that keep saltwater fish and work at LFS

lol really pee in the tank? and i was confused because on liveaquaria that most dwarf angels require 55 or larger but would it be fine in a 40 breeder?

It isn't something that I would do, but way back in the day people would set up huge tanks and hold parties where basically everyone would get good and liquored up and pee in the tank. Cycling is simply adding an ammonia source, so it is one way to do it...a cocktail shrimp is just easier.

With inverts like shrimp and crabs and snails they are fine. With corals and clams they are add with caution as they can nip/eat them

With inverts like shrimp and crabs and snails they are fine. With corals and clams they are add with caution as they can nip/eat them

Do you know anything about the half black angel? Because I saw one today at the LFS but wasn't sure if I'd be able to keep one.

Back
Top Bottom