Starting fresh but need knowledge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingPoseidon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I have a 55 gallon non drilled tank (no I’m not going to go have it drilled and no I’m not going to drill it myself) I had a 40 gallon FOWLR tank before but it recently crashed after 4 years. This 55 I really want to be successful and have no problems so how should I go about figuring out what equipment I should buy and use such as filtration, skimmer, etc.

Well I don’t really have any equipment fit for a 55 only for the 40 but I would like to have another FOWLR tank but I’d still want a few corals just for colors and what not

I have a heater and power head haha that’s really all I can use from the 40gal set up I had before the lights would be too small for the tank not to mention I only have 1 light bar from the 40 I have most of the rock and that’s really it

Well,
You’ll need 1 lbs per gallon of rock and sand. I usually suggest macro or base rock to save money on this. The same goes for sand with the lbs per gallon.
Look into a taotronic black box led for lighting. They are the best bang for your buck and will keep anything photosynthetic under them in the hobby.
You’ll want to have enough gph in the tank. One powerhead probably won’t cut it. You’ll be aiming between 10-50x turnover of the water column.

Awesome!!!! What size powerhead would you recommend also could you recommend any that aren’t suction cupped to the glass??? They never seem to last long

You'll want to get at minimun 550 gph going through a 55 tank. So get two and try to go higher than that.
As for filtration, I'm a fan of protein skimmers and algae turf scrubbers.

Back
Top Bottom