Hello everyone -
I am totally at a crossroads and could use your wonderful advice and opinions!
A few weeks ago I got the urge to do something with my old 29g since I had most of the equipment just sitting around. I have always kept FW
so I instantly began researching Cichlids. I bought rocks for them, and it's about done cycling. I know from these forums a 29g is not recommended for cichlids, but from research I've done I may be able to get by with either 4 johanni's (3 females and 1 male) or 4 Auratus (3 females and 1 male).
HOWEVER, last night after "accidentally" stumbling into the SW
side of AA, I was thinking, well what about a saltwater reef with fish? Already this morning I've read a ton on nano reefs and setting up SW
aquariums and I'm starting to lean that way...
So here are criteria for my decision and take these into consideration when offering your opinions/advice:
- I am a consultant who travels 80% of the year, Mon-Thurs. I have a roommate who is also a consultant but travels every other week.
- My current 55g FW community has no issues with this schedule
- I have already bought about $40 in rocks for the Cichlids (Lake Malawi looking rocks, don't think they'd look good in a SW tank)
- I have an overhanging filter rated for 30g
- I have never started a SW before
- I am perfectly fine selling or donating the cichlids if/when they get too big
- The tank was medicated for Ich about 6 years ago and has been sitting in storage since then
SO, given all of this, do you guys suggest SW
Lake Malawi Cichlids?