still researching

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbrtmunro

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was wondering which filtration system I should go with...
I have a 75 gallon tempered tank so, no drilling. I am getting different answers from all over mainly LFS. So here goes, if i use a wet dry filter with an over flow is there any way to avoid flooding the floor if there is a power outage?
Could I use a canister filter with equal results?
I have read enough to know now that which ever way I go, I will need a skimmer. And also people answering will want to know which tank I will be setting up ( reef tank).
I am setting a budget of 500.00 to get the few things listed above ie. filtration and skimmer. Is this realistic? Can I do a good system for less and use some of that money for lighting and live rock?

Ok, another question if i go with a 50\50 mix of live and hirocks, how long should I allow the tank to cycle before adding fish?

I think I am going to go with power compacts for the lighting. I am going to mainly start with soft coral but will most likely move to hard coral.
Any help and suggestions would be greatly appericated.

If you have enough live rocks, you can avoid the whole wet/dry / canister. And most overflows are designed to not flood your floor should the return pump fail. As long as there is a pump pulling air from the overflow to prevent the siphon from breaking or to restart it after it breaks, you should be safe there.

Thank you, I am so unsure of not having an actual filtration system. i know most people on here say you dont needed it with the live rock. But I an not get past the mind set of using one. I know I am going to keep my cost down by using 50% hirocks so will this make a difference?

Well, the hirocks material will become live. It may not be covered in coraline as the live, but the bacteria will grow on it.

Depends on your source of live rock as well. Some will have lots of dieoff which is enough to run a cycle with, whereas other rock will require the shrimp method. Allow the normal cycle times in general (depending on source of rock). If its cured (like in your LFS cured), and is in a system which actually processes waste (unlike a lot of holding tanks I've seen), it may actually be ready to go in less time. But no guarantees here :)

hirocks is fine, but heavier than most "Real" LR. So while the rule is 1 to 2 lb of LR per gal, you'll need to go to the higher side. I suggest checking out some pieces of "real" LR to see what I'm talking about. (I have just added a total of 3 pieces of LR to my hirocks myself)

I cycled my hirocks with dead shrimp first, and the LR didn't cycle at all (was pre-cured from the LFS)

Don't misunderstand.. LR *IS* a filtration system. it is porous and filled with the right bacteria to process waste. It's better than a canister.

get as much LR as you can, and get the best skimmer you can, and you'll be set.

I really dont know about the back of the tank. I will try to find out.
Thank you, everyone for the help. Which should I go with the wet dry or the canister if I am just dead set on it? Would I be safe on overkill on the filtraion?

Both canister and wet/dry will increase your nitrates

LR is the way to go.

At least with a canister you can run carbon occasionally, but you have to keep it clean or even that will become a nitrate factory.

Back
Top Bottom