Suggestions on impossible tank to clean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlo1976d

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 70 gallon (quarter cylinder) corner bowed front acrylic tank made by Tenecor ( http://www.tenecor.com/quartercylinder.php )

Because of its curved surface and being so tall, I've been having a very difficult time cleaning it. I can only reach about 2/3 of the way down with my arm fully extended standing on a ladder.

I've tried long extended scrubbers and scrapers; none of them works well enough becaused of the bowed front. I even got a hold of a MagFloat for acrylic that has a 1 1/4" surface area (small enough) allowing me to move from sided to side, but it wasn't strong enough.

I did come across MagFloat like devices like 'HammerHead' and 'Pirahna' ( http://www.reeffanatic.com ) which seemed like it would help in my case, but I'm hesitant due to it's price and not sure if it will work.

Does any one have experience with tall, acrylic bowed front tanks? Any suggestions on cleaning such a tank? Please help.....

Jerry

I have had a good experience with slicing a Cello Sponge in two with a kitchen knife and supergluing the cut side to the Strong Hammerhead magnet. this will not scratch the inside of the tank, and will conform to the interior...

This magnet should be strong enough to hold through the sponge..
http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/mas/category.cgi?item=MK_AFH&type=store

You don't have to use one this expensive, but they are strong magnets

I have a 175 gallon bowfront. I use the long handled Kent Marine Scraper. You have a choice of buying 2 seperate heads for it, one for acrylic and one for glass.

Thanks for the advise.

Any suggestions on where I can get the sponge and what type of super-glue that's not toxic to the fish & corals?

Jerry

I wonder if you could order a couple of strong magnets from an industrial supply dealer (Grainger, McMaster & Carr, ect...). Then glue the sponge to one and some felt to the other like Timbo said. It might be a lot cheaper than the Hammerhead and still do the job.
Logan J

Any grocery store,,, make sure that you rinse out good to make sure that there is nothing in it....and I used crazy glue...once it is dry, it is non-toxic. You can also get a 3M gel that works great to.

Don't some of the sponges have an anti fungal agent in them? I have heard this before, but have never had the need to check into it.
Logan J

Hara, unfortunately I've already tried that particular scraper. Because my tank is a corner bowed front, only being 70 gal, even the smallest blade available will not conform to the curve of my tank (only the edges touches). If I can find a smaller blade (1" to 1 1/4") I think then it would work, but up to this point, the smallest blades I've come across are 2". If you know of place where I can order something smaller that would be great. Thanks for your input.

Look on the sponge packaging. If it has additives it will say on it not for aquarium use.

Also Try a larger magfloat. Sounds like you had a small one. They sell much larger with much stronger magnets. I use one on my 80 and 20 gal and I have found it cleans much bettter on my 20 gal cause the gtlass is thinner.

Back
Top Bottom