Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScubaD

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am building a 29 gallon reef tank with a sump. I'm using a 3/4" bulkhead for the return. Should I use a 1" bulkhead for the drain pipe or a 3/4"?

Hi and welcome to AA!

Will you be using only 1 return? A 3/4" has 660gph gravity flow, a 1" is 950gph. Are you using a skimmer? If so I'll assume your return pump will be rated 3-5x your tank volume flow. Without a skimmer, you can have a higher flow.

Either way I think you'll be fine with either pipe. Is your pipe going to be drilled through the back? If it's drilled I'd go with the 1" pipe and install a ball valve so you can dial it down if needed. If you're using an overflow, I'd go with the 3/4" pipe since it's smaller. A 1" overflow pipe in a 29g is pretty large.

My pipe is going to be drilled through the base of the aquarium, I will also be using a home made over flow. I am only going to have one return. I plan on using a skimmer later down the road.

I think I am going to use the 1" with a ball valve, even though it will take up a lot of room in the tank.

Thanks for your help!!!

Back
Top Bottom