Switching Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

biotoxin

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 10g nano that i want to move into a 20L. Just wondering if there's enough beneficial bacteria built up in my 4 mo old tank to support a 20g. I have the water at half level 20g and wana just move the rest of everything to it. Just dont want it to respike when i add my fish and corals to the new tank. Any suggestions?

Assuming there are no additional sources of Ammonia... IE new sand/rock/livestock.... There should be no noticable spike other than the disturbance of the accumulated ditrius in your existing rock and substrate being distrurbed as you move them from one tank to another. Depending on the depth of your sandbed, the nitrifying / facting bacterias in the upper layer should re-establish themselves very quickly.

well i did add 15lbs of new sand and plan to just seed that new substrate with the sand from my existing 10g

In said case you have significantly decreaed the bio capacity of the new system and will need to properly cycle the tank from ground up to avoid a large spike. I would recommend moving all of the sand from the old tank to the new.

ya i plan on doing that. My main question was , when i do that will there be a large spike or will there be enough bacteria in the 10g sand to cover a major spike.

Back
Top Bottom