Tank Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boo_boo_1980

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am about to start a second salt water tank for my wife she wants a cowfish. I was wondering if i can use my extra filter from my other tank and skip the cycling process. The filter has been running on the other tank which is a well stocked reef tank and it has all the filter media. And it only purpose is to add a bit of extra water flow. So please let me know if using this filter will help me skip the cycling process

I wouldn't skip the cycling process. I believe cowfish are pretty messy (high waste) I would definately cycle the tank. If you use some of the water from your existing tank this should help speed the cycle but I would not skip it. You are asking for trouble if you do (with any kind of fish) IMHO. Hope this helps.

The use of an established filter will aid in completing a cycle, but remember that the cycle adjusts each time the load on it is increased. Also, remember that a cycle has to be maintained - an ammonia source needs to be present to sustain it. I've read about people putting an established filter into a tank with no fish or other inhabitanta for extended periods - not good for the bacteria which depend on ammonia and nitrates as sources!!

Back
Top Bottom