Tankmates??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SJSobczyk

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank, all parameters are stable and the system is doing its job. In the tank i have a yellow tang and a niger trigger (its only an inch and a half). What kind of tankmate can i get for them. I only want one more fish but i am up in the air about which one. I do not want a puffer of lionfish (too messy of eaters). So i am looking for something fairly docile yet colorful, both the niger and tang are very peaceful together but i know this could change if the wrong tankmate was introduced.

So............Any suggestions??

Thanks
SJS

i would go with a pjama cardinal...or a lovely royal gramma )

arent the triggers supposed to be semi-aggressive? maybe not now since he is small but once they get bigger...you may want to get something that can hold its own like an angle or wrasse....

Niger triggers are the most doscile of the triggers. I had one with a lion, henni, and porcy. She stayed to herself but was very active in the tank. Take it for what it's worth, my LFS had a display with niger, clowns, and 2 varieties of tangs. All seem to be fine with each other. Beatuful tank!!!!!

good cause i want one in my 80gal as soon as i get it up and goin and i plan to get clowns and other nice peaceful fish...

MYTY1705 said:
Niger triggers are the most doscile of the triggers.
Very true....

whome.jpg

Cheers
Steve

I have to agree with the fact that Niger Triggers are peaceful. Mine sticks with the tang all the time, he wont leave his side. He likes to dig in the sand and hide himself in the LR and he always sleeps in the same spot at night. Quite interesting to watch!

Thanks for all the suggestions, i think i am going to go with a Harlequin Tusk wrasse!

SJS

How does the Niger trigger do with inverts like snails and hermits? How about shrimp?

You know what, i have never tried any inverts with them. I might get a shrimp this weekend and see how it goes. I will let you know!

SJS

Snails and hermits are okay. Decorative crabs and shrimp = lunch.

YMMV but sometimes it is possible to introduce a young Niger after the inverts without issue. It would still be a rather large risk though.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom