Tap water and dechlorination??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LittleParr

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't have an RO/DI unit and our tap water is very good. How do I dechlorinate? Before or after you add the salt mix? Using it for a 33gal with fish and inverts.

Dechlorinate before adding salt.
When you say your tap water is good, how good is it? Have you taken a TDS reading? Tested it for nitrate and phosphate?

What have you tested your tap water for?
Is it well water or public?

Are you using something like Amquel to remove/detoxify ammonia, chlorine and chloramines ?

I agree with the others in that I see no evidence of your tap water being "good".

I guess I mean it's clear and tastes well to me...but i realize that doesn't mean it's fine for the fish. I'll run some tests and check with my LFS on RO water.

For what it's worth-I started my tank up with tap water (well water) treated with a dechlorinator. I would highly suggest that you find a lfs that has ro/di water that you can either get for free or purchase. I had horrible problems with algae/cyano and it took several weeks for everything to get back into check again. I realize that it might be inconvenient but in the long run you'll have far less problems. You might also want to start investing in some test kits so you can provide the saltwater guru's here some info to help you out (or they can guide you away from some potential problems).

Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom