thanks & flow rates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pipermurphy

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off thanks for all of your help so far in getting things going.

My next question is,
Can you have too much water flow. In my 75g SW I have a Rio3100 in my sump @ 700gph along with 3 surge 750's each @ 200gph so that is about 17X tank vol. Is that excessive? Right now it is a FOwLR. To be a soft coral tank. I am through with the cycling and have 2 true perc clowns, a damsel, and a goby, along with 10 hermits. There is also 4" LSB & 85lbs of LR. Is this a good setup?

Sounds good. (y)

You may hear mixed reviews on the choice of pump. RIO's seem to not be liked here. I don't have a problem yet, however, I hear they have a short life span and lock up, as well as heat issues. but hey, mine is working great...I have a RIO pump and it is doing great.

Your tank should be doing good for filtration with the LR provided...What king of filtration are you running in the sump?

Originally it was a wet/dry, but was told by others here to remove the bio-balls. So all I have in the sump is my heaters. I don't know if this is right, or should I do something else.

Sounds like you're on the right track to a successful tank! Some folks have as much as 30x flow so you're ok there. What I have read, and it makes sense to me, is that you want turbulence instead of current. Aim your PH's and pump return so that their flow hits each other.
I would watch that Rio pump closely. If it died, I'd go with a Mag Drive or a good external (Little Giant, Iwaki,...). I have a Rio on my skimmer and it quits about once a week. Gonna replace it with a Maxi Jet someday....
Logan J

I have a Rio on my skimmer and it quits about once a week. Gonna replace it with a Maxi Jet someday

Do you think you might have a defective RIO pump on your skimmer?

I have a RIO 800 on my skimmer and it has never quit. actually, it is the most reliable pump I have.

I have a MAXI-JET 100 that is a real POS...so I don't know....I guess we all have had bad pumps one time or another.. As I heard in this hobby, sometimes you just can't always get quality for less money..

Well, I got three of the Rio 200's with the skimmer. One wouldn't run at all, one wouldn't run more than about 10 min, and the other will run about a week at a time on average. On the other hand, I have never had a MaxiJet that quit or failed to restart after a power outage. Just my experience so far....
Logan J

Hmmm, ok, I was just wondering...Must have been a bad time on the assembly line? :drinking: he he

When you tear a rio and a maxijet apart they are at the core the same basic type of motor. They use a magnet and electricty to rotate the impeller. I have found if I clean the PH's real good by basicly taking them apart and scrubbing them down with my fingers under the sink that they perk up to just like new condition when I plug them back in again.

Back
Top Bottom