Thinking about saltwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heatherhribal

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am pretty new to fishkeeping. I have a freshwater aquarium and i love it! I have a lot of learning to do before I do a saltwater aquarium! So in the next several months I plan on reading and researching. I would like maybe a 30 gallon reef tank. For saltwater reef is a hob filter enough? I know you need a skimmer too and heater. And lights. Do you have to do the sump with all of the complicated equipment under the tank? Maybe I am asking dumb questions prematurely since I haven't read a whole lot about it yet! I just want to start getting ideas in my head. Any input for a beginner would be appreciated!!!

There are some great stickie posts under the saltwater subsections, they will be a great help to you!

ASnd to answer some of your questions:
Yes, for a 30g a hang on back filter or even a canister would be ok.
A skimmer wouldnt really be needed if you do your weekly water changes, that will remove all the bad stuff and replenish the elements that you need for corals, so no need for dosing a tank with anything.
A sump is up to you. A drilled tank just cries out for a sump and they are so easy you'd be surprised. But a 30g most likely wont be drilled so I would, if it were me, leave the sump out of the equation.
I ran a 29g as my first salt tank and ran it with an aquaclear hang on back, heater and some cheap 4 bulb t5 lights and had alot of success with my corals. Did my weekly water changes and everything thrived.

Back
Top Bottom