Upgrading to 125 long reef tank - trying to head off any problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattdean

Aquarium Advice Regular
Sooo, I have a beautiful 46 gallon bow front reef tank, however, I set it up without a sump or refugium and the glass is a bit scratched from my cichlid days. So, I was going to switch out the tank and have it drilled and a sump, yadda yadda yadda. Now, I have decided to move my recording studio/office down to my lower level TV room (which will require tearing down walls of my storage room and redoing most of the level) and do a peninsula 125 gallon long tank. I don't want to have any surprises (I know, I'm dreaming) so I want to make sure all my basis are covered. I hope to get a tank that is 6 long X 2 wide X 1.5 high. (I know it's more than 125, but I may down size it to 125, so for the sake of discussion I'll use that volume.

My questions are :

Will this size be more work or less work over time? Less frequent water changes? More stable? I know everything size has it's own challenges. I want to know what those challenges may be for a 125 gal.

I will have at least 130 pounds of live rock in it. I want to do 3 islands with canals between them. Lots of caves and holes. Should be nice. It is going to be a mixed reef with mostly softies, LPS.

Is moisture from the tank going to be an issue in my lower level TV Room. (Lowest floor of a 4 level back-slit house. So essentially, it's like a basement. Do I need to vent the heat and moisture outside? this would be a challenge as the outside walls near the tank go under a porch.

I have an Aqua Medic Turboflotor Multi SL Skimmer. Should be good enough - it's rated for up to 200 gallons. I plan on a 55 gal sump w/refugium. I can do a 75 gal sump but don't know if that is either necessary or wise. Suggestions? I also have an Ehiem Professional II canister filter. Can I easily make this a reactor of some sort without have to hook it on the side of the tank> I was told i couldn't just put it on the sump because it needed to be BELOW the tank it is filtering. Is this accurate?

I think I will need to build a canopy - not my idea of fun, but. I don't like the idea of a light on a stand. It will ruin the look. The stand will match the walls in the room so I will match the plaster of the walls to the canopy. It will have 6 5 foot T5's. 2 Blue 22K, 2 Fiji Purple, 2 17K Duo whites. My biggest concern is accessibility to the tank for maintenance and cleaning, etc.

I plan on have 2 corner overflows and 3 drilled holes in the bottom for water flow. One in the middle high up with two spouts facing opposite each other and 2 same way only lower and more near the corners.
Is this ideal?

Obviously I will do the build and plumbing, etc. Since this is on the bottom floor I need to keep everything contained underneath the tank. Anything I should be wary of? Things to watch for, shy away from?

I also want to keep this as quiet as possible, since it is essentially in my recording studio. I will have heavy drapes that I will pull across when recording vocals, but it is also my TV room and hate anything messing up my theatre sound :) So, any tricks? tips? I will probably have to pony up for a more expensive pump to keep it quiet, but anything that helps os good to know.

Any other tips are welcome and appreciated. I will start a build thread once i get going. May be a few months before I get the room ready for it/

Obviously, everything from my current setup will go in the new tank. Here's a shot of my current tank.

Attachments

• tank10_09.jpg
    tank10_09.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 142
Why not do a retro fit for the lights and use something like the dome I have on the top. I dont do canopies.

Do you have to take the lights off every time you do something in the tank with the dome? I'm not sure that look would work in the room, but it's a cool idea. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom