Want to set up a salt water tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjos11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all I`ve have been running a fresh water tank for the last year but I am considering trying a salt water setup. Thing is I know very little about this and I want to do it right. Will you advise please?

Paul

Paul,
There are several articles on here that helped me, as they will you. ALso, a great book to read before doing anything is "The New Marine Aquarium; a step by step set-up and stocking guide " by Michael S. Paletta. I read and re-read..and then got on here and verified what I'd learned.
I have a simple set-up and LOVE this new hobby! My now almost 5yr. old son was born with a bone marrow disorder that makes him live within the confines of our home ALOT. In a nutshell, he has no immunity on his own. We have a farm here in Ky. raising sporthorses, which makes it even harder on him. SO, the SW aquarium has been a great source of tranquil enjoyment for the whole family to de-stress by when we need a little reminder of the Lord's grace and guidance.
BTW, our family are Christians too!
I hope this helps to encourage you.

Thanks for that. I have been reading alot about how to set up a salt water tank. What i cannot understand is do I make my own salt water or just buy it from the LFS?

You can do either. It is much cheaper to mix your own. I purchase Ro water from my LFS and bring it home to mix for pwc, or top off as it evaporates.
I use 5g. buckets with lids that used to be used for horse supplements. I am used to packing around buckets of this and that, so it's no big deal to me. Many people don't like packing water from the lfs every week or two. I will eventually get my own unit to make my own ro/di water, though. Not a priority now......the new dishwasher, then washer/dryer come first!

Welcome to the possibility of SW!!!

Mrsfuller2572 has given some sound advice. I would suggest that you not cycle with live animals. As for the SW from the store or mixed at home?

I like to premix my own.
I start on Friday night, add water, salt, ph, heater. I test the water and add salt if more is needed. I let it aerate for as least 24hours. Generally, I'll switch out the water on Sunday night. It is recommended to let it aerate for 24-36 hours, to give the salt time to dissolve, the pH to balance out and the temp to match your tank.

I have been reading a book and I have ordered the one that Mrsfuller2572 said was good. From what I have learned so far I think I would like to set up a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) i`m learning!! I have also thought of using a sump this seems like a good idea as I may put the tank in the hallway and want to hide all the do-das (slang in Ireland) I am having trouble finding a seller though.
Does all the stuff go into the sump heater skimmer etc? Also is there a way the rock should be put into the tank? Sand or rock first? How should it be stacked? The LFS said that I should put uncured rock in as this will cycle the tank is this correct? What is LIVE sand? Thanks for all your help in advance.

Wee small man in Belfast who`s name is Paul and works as a Plumber.

Also is there a way the rock should be put into the tank? Sand or rock first?
I would put in the sand then the rock (that's just my personal preference, I don't believe it matters either way), make sure you put the rock on the bottom, in case you want to get any sand sifting critters, otherwise they can move the sand and your rock might topple.
How should it be stacked?
I think you will end up moving it a few time before you are happy with how it looks! I like to have a cave or two.
The LFS said that I should put uncured rock in as this will cycle the tank is this correct?
That will work. You might want to try a mixture of base rock (cheaper) and either cured or uncured rock.
What is LIVE sand?
Live sand is SUPPOSED to have beneficial bacteria in it. I am not sure if it is really the case, as the sand sits in a warehouse then in a hot truck and then to the LFS where it sits on the shelf. I would go with the dry sand they sell. It's cheaper!

Ok now I have spoke to so many people all with there own ideas its getting to me!! I feel that I want to have a sump. I like the idea of it and the way that it increases the volume of water mind you the main tank i`m looking at will be no less that 300Litres.
I have read that when putting live rock in that you put it on a shelf to keep it of the substrate is this correct and what is this really saying as I can`t picture it? Also I have been told that it is almost impossible to get the water right as it is always to high to low!! What are your thoughts my friends?
Paul

I have read that when putting live rock in that you put it on a shelf to keep it of the substrate is this correct
I suppose some people do that. Maybe they are trying to build a cave or something like that. I push mine down so that it rests on the glass bottom. If you decide on sand sifters (good idea) or burrowers (sp?), they could possibly topple the rock.
Also I have been told that it is almost impossible to get the water right as it is always to high to low!
I don't think that is a true statement, where are you getting that info? If we didn't have perfect water conditions, our critters wouldn't live very long. It just takes some TLC to keep your water clean and the parameters in check.

Can anyone advise me on how to build a sump I can`t seem to buy one anywhere.

Ok thanks for that and it really looks easy to build so I am going to copy his design. I have a question though I don`t really understand the refurium bit. From my understanding the water is being pumped into this section and overflows into the return section. What is the purpose of this? There is sand on the bottom but does this just lie on the bottom?

The Refugium is for filtration. The sand and rock and Macro algae filter your water. Beneficial bacteria live in the rock and sand, the Macro algae helps to remove nitrates. Think of it as a natural filter as opposed to using carbon based filters. Welcome to the hobby and God bless! I'm a christian too!

I have been asking my LFS about sump building and they told me the best way is that the first section should contain the skimmer. The next section should be where the filter media
would be filter wool, bio balls etc.

What I can't understand about this design below is that when water is pumped into the refugium surely the sand is constantly going to get blown all over the place, and then pumped up into the main tank.

Should something be at the top of the baffle between the refugium and the return pump section, like filter pad wool?

What is the purpose of the three baffles that are very close together in the middle?

This is the design I want to copy once I get my head around it!!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=53046&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Back
Top Bottom