water change?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schmilnik

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys do I need to do a water change during my cycle? And also how much and do I need to change and do I need to do anything to the water before I put it in the tank?

IF you are near the end of your cycle you could do a PWC...If you are starting to see Nitrates then you could do a PWC. I wouldn't do more then 20%. Before putting anything in the tank I would retest the water for everything including SG.

IMO I would not do one till your cycle is over. A water change will slow your cycle and cause you to have to wait longer. Wait till it`s over and then do a 30-40% PWC.

Ok sounds good and when I do the 30-40% PWC should I just put the water in bucket and add the instant ocean or can I just add water to the tank and add instant ocean? Thanks for the help!!

You should never add salt to your tank. I would practice the premixing and get an idea of how many cups of salt to how much water you will need.

ok I think I remember reading that. But why is that? Is it not good for the fish and livstock?

The marine salt is cautic and will burn your fish and inverts. Never add salt mix to your tank. Very dangerous. It is also hard to know how much you are adding with just salt and you`ll never be able to keep your salinity stable which is important also.

As melosu said salt is caustic. Freshly made SW can be toxic as well. Therefore it should be mixed/aerated for at least 24 hours before use. That will allow the salt to fully dissolve and the ph to reach the proper level. Also never add water to salt, always fill the container w/ water first. Not doing so could cause the carbonates to precipitate and cause low ph along with other serious issues.

Back
Top Bottom