Water change help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csouth1994

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I plan in getting a garbage bin and putting it in my room close to my tank where I will put my RO water in. I am tired of lifting buckets to put the water in the tank. I want to find a hose of some sort where I can transfer 2 ways: 1. Take out certain amounts of water into buckets to get rid of. 2. Use the hose to replace the water with my pure water. I want to do this to create less mess and better measurements. I have seen the aqueon water changer but that is about it. Can someone tell me if this is worth buying? Or if there are other products or methods that would work better in my situation?
Thank you!

Just get a pump and a piece of hose from home depot or lowes. You should have a pump to mix water with overnight, so that can double as your water transfer pump. A mag 5 or 7 should be sufficient.

Will this work for taking out of the tank and putting in?

You have to switch the pump out for this action, but yes. I don't like putting a pump like this directly into my display and would suggest doing water changes via sump to provide as least stress upon the livestock in your tank as possible.

Or you can just start a siphon with your mouth and then you can do some vacuuming as you are draining water (if you don't have enough room in the sump), then use the pump and hose to pump water from your barrel back into the tank.

Or get a siphon bulb from your LFS, PetSmart, PetCo, etc, if you don't want to get a mouth full of salt water :)

The idea is, to take it away from your mouth BEFORE the water comes out. ;)

I was gonna say that I must suck really hard, but it just doesn't sound right :)

As for methods, I just siphon out into a bucket, and then use jugs to fill it up. That's for my nano. For my 56 gallon tank, I siphon it into the rose garden (it's freshwater), and then connect to the sink to re-fill it.

When I convert that tank to SW, I will be using a pump to fill from the SW holding tank.

+1 on the siphon and buckets but I don't run anything bigger than a 40 right now. I would also recommend stirring up the detritus off your LR before doing the wc

I siphon from my display with a 60 ft piece of half inch tubing from Home Depot. When I have removed what I want, I hook the drain end to a pump in my water container and fill the tank back up. I usually pump the new water into my sump so that it mixes a little with the old before going in the display. Then I roll the tubing up until next time.

Back
Top Bottom