Water Changes and adding more Saltwater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferretttt

Aquarium Advice Activist
OK, OK.

I know that when you top off the tank that you only need to add fresh water, not saltwater, but is this always true? Do you ever add the salt mix?

Also, I've heard some say that you only need to top off, and others say you need to change it once a week/month/etc..

Which is true and better?

My talk is running a month or so now (XMAS present to ourselves) and has live sand, live rocks, cleanup crew. and recently, over the course of a couple of weeks, a longnosed hawkfish(real charachter that one)a few green chromis, a mandarin Goby(doing well on the tank pods goodies and some brine frozen) cucumbers, and finally as of yesterday, 2 perculas, 2 anemones, a nudibranch, and some featherdusters ( bigger that the hitchhikers on the live rock)

So far, all the water chems are perfect!

what size tank do? also i wouldnt have added the anemones so soon into your tank most members would suggest waiting 3-6 months

Basicly the only time you add saltwater is when you physically remove saltwater. At all other times add freshwater to maintain the SG.

I am a very strong avocate of regular water changes. I used to do biweekly water changes but now that I have a child I try my best to do monthly.

fishfreek said:
I am a very strong avocate of regular water changes. I used to do biweekly water changes but now that I have a child I try my best to do monthly.

Hey, I have an 18 month old and still do it weekly :p Only because my mother-in-law keeps her every sat though ;)

I know if she didn’t I probably would be doing it monthly as well.

Just curious, have you noticed any change in your no3 levels (before changing) since doing it monthly? I know you are understocked which helps a lot as well.

To be honest I rarly check water peramiters. Both tanks are very well established and are several years old each so not much really changes anymore.

Like Fishfreek said if you are topping off from evaporation then only add fresh water. If you are doing a pc water change then you are removing salt with it and must replace the salt with the new water.
Brian

Back
Top Bottom