Wave Making Power Head Add-On

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flanque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have a 1500L/hr power head which just blows forward.

I have it blowing (from a distance) against some of my corals and they appear to be doing much better since they have had this extra water flow.

I would like to, however, modify this so that it sways back and forth from side to side. The objective is to more accurately simulate the flow of a wave current.

Does anyone know how I might do this, or if there are any attachments I can add to this to achieve my objective?

The power head is very similar to this design:
http://www.ateamsys.com/aquarium/b_head.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

You can put a sqwd on the pump and have 2 water outlets switch back and forth. Same company makes an add-on for actual powerheads that is supposed to change water direction. Both can be found at foster and smiths website and other places.

Thanks for that. I read the foster and smith site about water movement but I don't get the way their add-ons work.

Could you help?

The "squid" is a valve with 1 input and 2 outputs. As water moves through the unit it moves the valve around so it switches output from 1 side to the other. I put about 1k gph through mine and it switches about every 4 seconds or so. Very simple idea and I'm probably like a hundred others, smacking myself for not thinking of it. I've never tried the powerhead pieces. From looking at the picture I'm guessing it's an add-on nozzle that rotates with water pressure so the direction continually changes. It might be worth a shot for the $12 or so it sells for.

The only other in-tank options I know of are multiple powerheads hooked up to timers to cycle them on and off. Kind of pricey and from what I hear, hard on the powerheads.

Yeah the internal mechanics of that two-way current generator puzzled me, but now make sense.

I might check out my local store.

THanks for that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom