what fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmetcalf

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,
I've got a 30gal reef, no fish yet.
I've got lots of tiny bugs on the glass and rocks, especially at night. Also, I've got a million tiny white and red snails.

Are there any fish that would eat these bugs and snails? And would not eat my corals?

Thanks for your help guys!

Do you know what kind of bugs you have in your tank? If you want something to eat flatworms and most other things get a six line wrasse. Be aware they can get aggressive and might have to be removed. Do you know what kind of snails you have? Some are very good to have like the stomatella.

I wouldn't worry about it. If there was a fish, what would you do when everything was gone?

A good little fish that will eat some of those little bugs is a Scooter Blenny. It's a cool little fish. Do some research on it. Also those snails are probably munching on algae and generally keeping your tank clean, so they're good. :)

If you wanted to make it a seahorse tank that would be nice and they would take care of your pods.

Scooter blennies are cool fish, but being a dragonet, I would worry about the feeding habits and possible starvation. If you do plan to get one, make sure you are well prepared to deal with its diet and either supplement the tank with pods or train it to eat prepared foods.

Sounds like there is already a tonne in there. If you feed brine they gradually realise it's food.

No tone, just a hint of caution as many people don't know what they are getting themselves into when they buy a dragonet. ;) They are a pain for the first couple of months until you get them eating prepared, then they are easy and hardy as long as you maintain a regular feeding schedule.

Back
Top Bottom